Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What Motivates Mankind?

While it is true that I'll go a long way to avoid pain, it's also true that I'll put up with an awful lot of pain and discomfort to accomplish a pleasurable goal. I remember one time staying up three days straight to finish an art project because "I was so close" and didn't want to lose my train of thought. And when I finished I was so tired I could hardly move, but I was so happy!

In Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health L. Ron Hubbard debunked the psychological model that man is motivated by the avoidance of pain, pointing out that he is equally attracted by the pursuit of pleasure. And that is certainly true for me.

"There is a necessity for pleasure, a necessity as live and quivering and vital as the human heart itself. He who said that a man who had two loaves of bread should sell one to buy white hyacinth, spoke sooth . The creative, the constructive, the beautiful, the harmonious, the adventurous, yes, and even escape from the the maw of oblivion, these things are pleasure and these things are necessity."

If you are a fan of Dianetics and you haven't picked up a copy of the latest edition of the book (released in late June by David Miscavige, Chairman of the Board of Religious Technology Center) I urge you to order your copy (you can do so online here). This book is such an easy read now, with a complete glossary in the back that defines not only all the Dianetics and Scientology terms but virtually any English language word you might have to look up as well. As much as I loved this book before, and I did (it was my first Scientology book), I am inspired by in now!




I like to help others and count it as my greatest pleasure in life to see a person free himself of the shadows which darken his days.— ScientologyFounder, L. Ron Hubbard